Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner election 7 May 2020 (PFCC election)
On 7 May 2020, the poll will take place to elect the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for the North Yorkshire Region.
What are the responsibilities of the PFC Commissioner?
- the PFCC for a police area must secure the maintenance of an efficient and effective police force for the area. [PRSRA, S1(6)]
- the PFCC for a police area must hold the relevant Chief Constable to account for the exercise of the Chief Constable's functions and those under the direction and control of the Chief Constable
- the PFCC has powers in relation to bringing together Community Safety and Criminal Justice partners, with mutual duties to co-operate and formulate and implement strategies across the police area
- the PFCC has commissioning and grant-making powers, primarily aimed to tackle crime reduction/prevention, and support victims and vulnerable people, or those affected by crime
- the PFCC can take on responsibility for the emergency services collaboration and for the fire and rescue service (or play a role in local authority fire governance)
- the PFCC will also have a strengthened role in dealing with police complaints
The full list of responsibilities and actions can be found in the following legislative acts:
- the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 (PRSRA) and
- the Police Act 1996 as amended
Key information regarding the election:
Deadline to register to vote 11.59pm on 21 April 2020
Deadline to apply for, amend or cancel postal votes 5pm on 22 April 2020
Deadline to apply for, amend or cancel appointed proxies 5pm on 29 April 2020
Application forms for postal votes
Application forms for proxy votes. Your nominated proxy must be registered to vote in the UK and would need to attend your local polling station to cast your vote for you. If you are unsure of where your polling station in you can use the in my area search function.
Applications forms for postal or proxy votes can be emailed to email@example.com or a hard copies can be posted to Civic Centre, St Lukes Avenue, Harrogate HG1 2AE. If you have any queries relating to the election, please contact our elections team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01423 500600.
Page last updated 28/01/2020