Parks and environmental services privacy notice
This privacy notice is to let you know how we promise to look after your personal information. This notice explains how we do this and tells you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
This privacy notice covers the following areas of parks and environmental services:
What information do we collect?
The type of information we collect will depend on why you have got in touch with us. The information will include some or all of the following:
- contact details
- National Insurance number
- nature of business
- details of vehicle
- reason why you have contacted us
- contacts that we have had with you
- financial information
- bank details
- medical information
Who uses this information?
Internal to Harrogate Borough Council
- accountancy services
- parking services
External to Harrogate Borough Council
- external contractors (bulky waste collections, ad hoc repair jobs etc)
- undertakers (bereavement services)
- abandoned vehicle contractor
- other local authorities
- North Yorkshire Fire Service
Why do we use this information?
The different ways in which we use this information. Example text below
- to enable contractor to arrange collection of bulky waste items
- to enable waste crews, grounds teams to undertake assisted service
What authority does Harrogate Borough Council have to collect and use this information?
Parks and Environmental Services process personal data under the following categories of lawfulness in the General Data Protection Regulation:
6(1)(a) the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one of more specific purposes
6(1)(b) Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract
6(1)(e) Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
9(2)(b) Processing is necessary for carrying out obligations under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement
9(2)(g) Processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest on the basis of Union or Member State law which is proportionate to the aim pursued and which contains appropriate safeguards
The tasks that we carry out in exercise of official authority are mainly required under the following laws (although other legislation applies)
- Environmental Protection Act 1990
- Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
- Refuse Disposal Amenity Act 1978
- The Controlled Waste Regulations 1992
- The E P (duty of care) Regulations 1991
- The Town and Country Planning Act 1990
Who are we likely to share this information with?
We may sometimes share the information that we have collected about you where it is necessary, lawful and fair to do so. We may share information with the following groups for these purposes:
- other council services - to help us carry out the functions that we need this information for, or to protect public funds - for instance, to prevent fraud. We also share an information system (APP) with some other council services - environmental protection, neighbourhood wardens and licensing
- Freedom of Information (FOI)/Subject Access Requests (SAR)/Environmental Information Requests (EIR)
- North Yorkshire Fire Service - to identify vulnerable people in the borough
How do we keep this information secure?
- Information which is held electronically is either held in files that are held on the Council's servers or dedicated databases. These systems are password protected and only accessible to people who need access to them
- Information which is held on paper is either stored in offices which are subject to access controls or in the dedicated archive provision for the council. Where information is removed from the office for operational purposes the amount of this is minimised and staff are trained to ensure that this is kept secure at all times
When computers make any decisions about you?
Parks and environmental services do not make or use any automated decisions.
When your data gets sent to other countries?
We do not send any information we collect about you outside the United Kingdom.
How long do we keep this information?
The length of time that we keep information for varies depending on what we use this information for, because there are different business and statutory needs for different processes that we follow.
What are your rights?
You have the right to request Harrogate Borough Council to stop processing your personal data in relation to any council service. Please read our main privacy notice for further details.
Page last updated 10/04/2019