The council tax reduction scheme provides financial help for people on low incomes.
As it's means tested, the amount you receive depends on your income, plus the size and needs of your household. You can receive up to 100% off your council tax, depending on your circumstances.
To be entitled, you must:
- be liable to pay council tax
- live in the property for which you're liable to pay council tax
- be on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings, capital or investments, unless you receive the guarantee element of pension credit
The amount you receive will be calculated based on:
- money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, benefits, tax credits and pensions
- you and your partner's capital, savings and investments
- your circumstances, such as your age, the number of people in your household and the ages of your children; whether you or any of your household are disabled
If you're entitled to a council tax reduction, it will be shown on your council tax bill, along with any balance you need to pay.
Page last updated 13/04/2018