Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If your income has changed and you are concerned about paying your rent or council tax, we can help. 

  • you can apply to have your council tax reduced. We can also review your monthly payments, spread them across 12 months or arrange a payment holiday
  • if you are of pension age and need help to pay your rent, you can apply for housing benefit
  • if you receive housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and you are struggling to pay the remainder of your rent, we may be able to give you a temporary, extra rent top up from our discretionary housing payment fund
  • if you are working age and need help with your rent or day to day living costs, you can claim Universal Credit and/or Job Seekers Allowance direct from the Department of Work and Pensions

If you already receive council tax support, or housing benefit, please let us know about any income changes you have so we can make sure we are paying you your correct entitlement.

Please give us a call on 01423 500600. You can also make an enquiry online.

The council tax reduction scheme provides financial help for people on low incomes.

As it's means tested, the amount you receive depends on your income, plus the size and needs of your household. You can receive up to 100% off your council tax, depending on your circumstances.

To be entitled, you must:

  • be liable to pay council tax
  • live in the property for which you're liable to pay council tax
  • be on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings, capital or investments, unless you receive the guarantee element of pension credit

The amount you receive will be calculated based on:

  • money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, benefits, tax credits and pensions
  • you and your partner's capital, savings and investments
  • your circumstances, such as your age, the number of people in your household and the ages of your children; whether you or any of your household are disabled

If you're entitled to a council tax reduction, it will be shown on your council tax bill, along with any balance you need to pay.

You can use our benefit calculator to get an estimate of how much you may be entitled to. You can read our council tax reduction scheme policy for full details.

Apply for council tax reduction

Enquiries form

Page last updated 31/03/2020