Dust nuisance caused by industry, trade or businesses is against the law and we will investigate complaints.
Dust from domestic premises is not covered by the law, but we would investigate dust being caused by a builder sandblasting a domestic property.
Dust nuisance can be a big issue during construction and demolition work, thanks to excavation, burning, blasting and, in particular, vehicles using haul roads. It is also an issue at quarries, waste facilities and other industrial sites.
Risk can be reduced by:
- installation of wheel-washing facilities at site entrances/exits
- water spraying of haul roads and stockpiles
- speed reductions on haul roads
- seeding stockpiles for long-term cover
- treating stockpiles with bonding agents
- sheeting vehicles
- using sealed or sheeted containers/skips for waste materials
- erecting barriers or sheeting around works
- using chutes to move materials
- fitting and maintaining of grit and dust arrestment plant
If you are suffering from a dust nuisance please contact us.
Page last updated 13/11/2017