To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from us which includes home boarding. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence with the specific conditions.

Apply for a licence

In order to make an application, you must fill out one of the following forms:

Guidance notes

Boarding application £180.00
Boarding renewal £156.00
Boarding variation £93.00
Home boarding application £126.00
Home boarding renewal £77.00
Home boarding variation £93.00
Veterinary inspection is the actual cost

You must then send the form to us with the appropriate fee, giving 28 days notice.

The licence must be renewed before 31st December each year if the premises is to continue as an animal boarding establishment.

Further guidance

For further information please read the animal boarding establishment conditions and guidance for your information.

How long will it take to receive the licence?

You can expect to hear from us normally within 60 days.

Does tacit consent apply?

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the council by the end of the 28 day target period.

Please note tacit consent will only apply once a full application has been submitted and you have received an acknowledgment.


If you have a complaint about a animal boarding establishment then please contact us for advice.

If this method does not work, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

For more information, please contact us.

Online enquiries form

Page last updated 06/12/2017