Children can learn to swim at all five of our pools across the district. Lessons are taught by our friendly and fully-qualified instructors and we follow the Swim England learn-to-swim framework.
Lessons run all-year round (school holidays included but not over Christmas and New Year), seven days a week at various times during the day. They are split into four blocks of lessons per year.
You can pay by monthly direct debit and the price includes free general swim sessions at the pool where your child has their lessons.
For pre-school children
Our 'Rain Drops' and 'Rain Tots' lessons are for children aged from six months to three years old. You will join your child in the water so you can provide 1-2-1 support. The lessons include structured play, songs and an introduction to basic swimming.
Children aged four years and older
Lessons are focused to help your child improve their skills in the water. We use different colour bands (red to gold) to represent increasing ability levels. These combine stroke technique, water safety and stamina.
- red - children are introduced to a structured type of swimming class, with the emphasis on basic movement skills (multi-stroke) covering five metres (Learn to Swim stages one and two)
- orange - children are introduced to a structured type of swimming class, with the emphasis on basic movement skills (multi-stroke) covering 10 metres (Learn to Swim stages three and four)
- yellow - consolidates previous learning and starts to refine the strokes on front and back covering 25 to 50 metres (Learn to Swim stage five)
- green - the main focus is building confidence and competence in all strokes, targeting streamlining skills throughout covering 100 metres (Learn to Swim stage six)
- blue - in this class, the strokes must now comply with Amateur Swimming Association laws, covering 200 metres (Learn to Swim stage seven)
- indigo - the focus is on efficient stroke technique and stamina work over 400 metres (Learn to Swim stage eight)
- violet - we reinforce coaching and training principles over 800 metres (Learn to Swim stage nine)
- gold - this class consolidates the competitive aspects of the sport covering 1,000 metres (Learn to Swim stage 10 honours)
For more information please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or you can contact us online.
Page last updated 12/04/2019