We are a friendly and welcoming place to work, and everything we do has an impact on the people who live here.
We make a positive difference to our communities every day. Our mantra is 'one council' which means we work well across teams. If you share our passion for doing what we can to make the district an even better place to live and work, you'll fit right in. We're not so large, so you won't become a tiny cog that goes unnoticed in a massive organisation. This means you'll really be able to make a difference to the council and the services we provide.
We welcome feedback and ideas. Our chief executive and directors run regular engagement events to listen to colleagues at all levels.
Here are just some of the reasons why you should work for us:
Our benefits package, along with the flexibility we offer, provides employment opportunities that will support you and your life.
We positively encourage flexibility, and this has made a big difference to the ways we and our people work. We offer flexible working to help fit your work around your other responsibilities, balancing the arrangements that suit you with the specific demands of your role.
Other flexible working options include:
- flexi-time scheme (for some roles)
- compressed or part-time hours
- job shares where appropriate
- agile working
If you might need a bit of extra time off, you can purchase up to three days additional leave each year. We also offer extended unpaid leave for employment breaks.
Benefits of being an employee
Working for us means you get access to a range of benefits, including:
- 26 days paid leave (rising to 29 days after five years of service) and bank holidays
- competitive pay with annual incremental progression
- the chance to join the Local Government Pension Scheme
- discounted access to our swimming pools and Brimhams fitness centres
- free parking (at most of our sites)
- an interest free season ticket loan
- a cycle to work discounted bike scheme
- a ‘green car’ scheme
- health cash plans
- eyecare vouchers
- our employee assistance programme
Reward and recognition
We have a culture of saying ‘thank you’ to our colleagues and have our own reward and recognition scheme where everyone has the opportunity to show their appreciation to a colleague who has put in extra effort or gone out of their way to help.
We have an annual awards event where we come together to celebrate our colleagues who excel at our standards of behaviour and to recognise those who have been loyal to the council for many years.
We recognise that our people are our most valuable asset. Without your talent, we could not deliver such a great service to our residents and businesses. We want to nurture that during your career at HBC. With over 400 job roles within the organisation, there are a wide range of opportunities across our services and there is a whole host of learning options to support your development of new skills, expertise and qualifications.
Our opportunities for your growth include:
- regular appraisals and 1:1 meetings as part of our performance development scheme
- face to face or e-learning training on a variety of topics
- opportunities to spend a day or more in other areas of the organisation to expand your knowledge and skills
- being part of internal or external coaching schemes as a coach or coachee achieving professional qualifications primarily through apprenticeships
- developing your leadership and management skills through our emerging leaders, leadership or management programmes.
We are also eager to identify talented individuals at different levels across our organisation ensuring that they are developed to maximise their potential through our 'talent development programme'.