Open space licences

We're doing everything we can to encourage people back to our town centres and high streets and to support hospitality businesses across the district recover from lockdown.

That includes allowing them to make safe use of any outside space in front of their premises or public open spaces where pavement licences may not be applicable.

If you run a hospitality business, you can now apply for a pavement licence which would allow you to put tables and chairs outside your café, bar or restaurant, or an open space licence if a pavement licence isn't an option.

Application for permission

The open space licence can be applied for if your business is close to a Harrogate Borough Council owned open space. Please note though we cannot accept any applications to use land designated as Stray Land.

Each open spaces application is subject to a week-long consultation in line with the pavement licence process.

If you're a resident and have a comment to make about an application, please send an email to Make sure we receive your comments before the respective consultation period ends.