Personal licence

Personal licence applications cannot be submitted electronically and can only be submitted to the local authority in which you reside (not where you work).

Original documents for both your licensing qualification and DBS check must accompany your application.

Please read the guidance carefully before submitting your application; following recent changes in legislation relating to the right to work in the UK which came into effect on 6 April 2017.

A personal licence allows people to supply alcohol where a premises licence is in force. Not every person at a place that supplies alcohol needs to be a personal licence holder but most premises licences require every sale of alcohol to be authorised by a personal licence holder.

Before applying for a licence, we suggest you read the personal licence guidance.


Apply for a personal licence

Disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties and declaration

Tacit consent

This means that you'll be able to act as though your application is granted if you've not heard from us by the end of the 28-day target period. Tacit consent will only apply once a full application has been submitted and you've received an acknowledgment.

Personal licence renewals

After April 2015, personal licence holders no longer need to renew their licences every ten years. Instead, the licences will carry on indefinitely until they're either surrendered or revoked.

Criminal record check

Apply for basic disclosure

Change of name or address

If your details are no longer up to date, please contact us at

Visits to the licensing service are by appointment only. Please call us on 01423 500600 or email at

Licensing fees