Sheltered housing is designed to help older people live independently and securely, knowing help is at hand.

It benefits from the support of an Independent Living Officer, (formerly called a warden), and an emergency call system.

It's not an old people's home or residential care home. Each scheme comprises purpose-built, self-contained flats that can be kept as private as the tenant wishes. But when companionship and social contact is needed, a ready-made community of people of a similar age and with similar interests is there to be enjoyed.

There is sheltered housing at:

  • Carlton Lodge, Leeds Road, Harrogate
  • Hewitson Court, Stockwell Road, Knaresborough
  • Collins Court, High Street, Knaresborough
  • Maple Creek, Red Lane, Masham
  • Blossomgate Court, Blossomgate, Ripon
  • Bondgate Court, Bondgate, Ripon

Who's eligible

To find out if you're eligible for sheltered housing, you'll be asked to complete an assessment to identify your needs and the support you require. 

There's a weekly charge for the sheltered housing service, but if you're on a limited income, you can apply for a financial assessment.

The role of the Independent Living Officer, (formerly called a warden)

The Independent Living Officer's role is to

  • assess tenants support needs to develop individual support plans to ensure that appropriate services are in place to enable the individual to independently as possible
  • offer advice and information
  • provide help in the event of illness or accident by acting as a link with the medical and social services and relatives

An Independent Living Officer will normally visit tenants each weekday to check all is well. However, if help is needed at any other time of the day the tenant can use the emergency alarm system to call the warden.

Independent Living Officers do not work 24 hours a day, outside normal working hours, cover is provided by an on call duty Independent Living Officer linked to the Call Monitoring Centre, from which help can be summoned at any hour of the day or night.

No Independent Living Officer, however kind or caring, can ever take the place of family. Family support and assistance can play a vital part in helping relatives to settle in and maintain a normal routine. Friends and family are always welcome to visit and some schemes have accommodation for visitors to stay if necessary.

We have nomination agreements with all housing associations operating in the district. Housing associations ask our housing options team to nominate people from our housing waiting list when vacancies come up.