Welcome to your new home in the Harrogate district
If you are new to this part of North Yorkshire, we hope this information about our services and how we can help you will be useful. If you have moved from elsewhere in the district, it should serve as a useful reminder.
North Yorkshire has two levels of local government with the county and district councils having different responsibilities.
We (Harrogate Borough Council) are in charge of:
- rubbish and recycling collections
- sport and leisure facilities (we have five swimming pools, three fitness centres, an art gallery and two museums)
- parks, outdoor spaces and cultural facilities
- planning and development
- licensing: taxis and food hygiene
- welfare benefits and council tax
- business and investment
North Yorkshire County Council is in charge of:
- adults and children's social care
- the maintenance of roads and pavements, including potholes and snow/ice clearance
- household waste recycling centres
- blue badges
- street lights
- births, deaths and marriages
Sign up for alerts
Sign up to our text and email alerts which will notify you directly about changes to bank holiday waste and recycling collections. Residents can sign up to the service at my.harrogate.gov.uk or by calling 01423 500600.
Register for a customer account
We encourage you to set up your own ‘My Harrogate’ account with us. It only takes a few minutes. Once you are subscribed, you will find it much easier to manage things like your council tax and/or benefits and lots more.
You can use our website to:
- pay for any of our services and/or set up your council tax direct debit
- apply for benefits, licences or planning permission
- book services such as bulky waste collections and subscribe to our green garden waste collections
- report fly-tipping, dog fouling, graffiti, litter or a lost dog
- search for planning applications and check your waste and recycling collection day
- have your say about the district and take part in our consultations
In my area
Enter your postcode, or part of an address, to view services and facilities available in your area, for example bin collection dates.