Make representation

This is a formal stage of appeal which can only be made after receiving a 'Notice to Owner'. This is sent to the owner/keeper of the vehicle registered at DVLA, regardless of who was driving. You can pay the charge at this stage or you can make a representation.

Your representation must be in writing and you can make it online.

You will need your vehicle registration and penalty charge notice (PCN) number, or you can complete the Notice to Owner form and return it to Harrogate Borough Council. Your representation will be considered by an independent council officer.

Representations should be made on one of the statutory grounds below. If none of these apply, you can still make a representation and ask that other circumstances are taken into account.

  1. The contravention did not occur
  2. I was not the owner/keeper of the vehicle at the time of the contravention
  3. The vehicle had been taken without my consent
  4. We are a hire firm and have supplied the name of the hirer
  5. The penalty charge exceeded the relevant amount
  6. There has been a procedural impropriety on behalf of the council
  7. The traffic order was invalid
  8. The penalty charge has been paid in full or at discount rate within discount period

If your representation is accepted, you will be notified that the PCN has been cancelled. Otherwise you will be sent a formal notice of rejection and you then have the option to pay £50 or £70, or appeal to an independent adjudicator.