We expect third party solicitors to submit low-value personal injury claims using the electronic claims portal:

  • Policy type: Motor and combined employers and public liability
    Insurer: Travelers Insurance Company Ltd
    Policy no: UCPOP3408138
    Portal ID: C00157
    Policy Type: Motor (for incidents prior to 1 October 2016)
    Insurer: AIG
    Policy no: 21005448
    Claims handler: Gallagher Bassett International Ltd
    Portal ID: D00019


We no longer act on behalf of the highways authority in the Harrogate and Knaresborough area. This responsibility lies with North Yorkshire County Council. Notification of highways-related incidents should go to North Yorkshire County Council. Further information can be found by visiting https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/highway-claims

Bringing a claim against Harrogate Borough Council

Please report this through our customer service centre by emailing customer services or call 01423 500600.

For your compensation claim for personal injury or damage to your property to be successful, you'll need to prove that the council has been at fault in the law. Although something may have happened, there's no automatic entitlement to compensation.

We must protect the public funds we handle, so we may use the claim information you provide to detect and prevent fraud. We may also share this information with other organisations that handle and protect public funds.

Handling your claim

When you tell us that you want to make a claim, you'll be asked to write into the insurance section, giving the following information:

  • full name, address, telephone number
  • occupation, age, National Insurance number (personal injury claims only)
  • the exact date, day, time and location of the accident/incident
  • written details of how the accident/incident occurred, with a brief description of the nature of the defect and a sketch of the precise location of the accident/incident
  • details of injuries or damage to property
  • why do you believe the council is responsible
  • photographs to support your claim
  • confirmation that the information given in your letter is correct

Write to Insurance Officer, Harrogate Borough Council, Corporate Affairs Finance, PO Box 787, Harrogate, HG1 9RW. Mark envelope Private and Confidential.

We'll acknowledge receipt of your letter within 21 days. We'll then investigate your claim and pass the information to the claims handler/insurer who will decide whether or not the council is liable. The law allows up to three months for this. Delays in you giving the required information may affect the timescales to confirm the council's position on liability.

Claims for loss or damage to property

If the claim is for damage to your property, you'll be asked for the original receipts, and/or estimates for replacement, including the age of the items. This is because any payment will take into account wear and tear. It may affect the level of compensation you're awarded if you're unable to back up your claim.

You're under a legal duty to mitigate your losses; failure to do so will affect the level of compensation you're awarded.

If liability is denied

If liability is denied, you'll be provided with a written explanation. If you disagree with the decision or want to submit further evidence in support of your claim, you should write to the designated claims handler. If liability remains denied, you can consider seeking independent legal advice.