For all issues relating to planning and development, including planning applications and policy, building work, urban design, land searches, conservation, listed buildings and works to trees.
If you can't find what you are looking for on the website or want more advice please contact us.
Alternatively you can send us an email at [email protected], call us on 01423 500600 or write to us at Development Management, Harrogate Borough Council, PO Box 787, Harrogate HG1 2RW.
Please note that from 1 April 2020 there will be a charge of £65 for written responses to planning enquiries.
How to find us
- by foot - the Civic Centre is a 15 minute walk from Harrogate town centre. Follow King's Road past Harrogate Convention Centre towards Grove Road. The entrance will be signposted when you reach Coppice Drive
- by car - there is limited customer parking available (accessed from St Luke's Avenue) or disc parking is available on King's Road
- by bus - the 2A and 2B Harrogate bus station to Bilton buses stop on King's Road at St Luke's Avenue (outbound) and Franklin Mount (inbound)
Planning customer service
Customer service for planning is handled by the council's customer services. If you have a planning query, would like to speak to someone or need to visit one of the customer service centres, our customer service advisors will be happy to assist.
The main customer service centres for planning related matters are based at the civic centre in Harrogate.
Telephone: 01423 500600. Calls may be recorded for quality or training purposes.
Email: [email protected]
Please note that from 1 April 2019 there will be a charge of £64 for written responses to planning enquiries.
Duty planning officer
If you would like to talk to the duty planning officer, one is available between 9am and 1pm on 01423 500600.
The duty officer can provide advice on straightforward matters over the phone. If you require more detailed pre-application advice, then please visit pre-application enquiry service.
Duty support officer
If your enquiry relates to registering a new planning application, please ask to speak to our duty support officer on 01423 500600. Someone should be available between 9am and 1pm.
8.30am until 5pm Monday to Thursday
8.30am until 4.30pm on Fridays
The council offices are closed on bank holidays, although you can continue to access online services on this website 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
More ways to contact us online
- contact your councillor
- make a complaint
- make a freedom of information request or, environmental information request
Search and comment on planning applications
You can look at planning applications received by the council using our Public Access system. This service allows you to:
- see the details of individual planning applications
- see what planning decisions we have made
- submit comments on an applications
- track the progress of applications, save searches and get email notifications (when you register)
- search for current or historic applications relating to a property (from 2007)
You can view evidence, submit comments and check the progress of a planning appeal online via the Planning Portal.
Further details in relation to our planning committee and our opportunity to speak scheme.
Historic planning applications
You can search for applications on our online Public Access system from 2007 onwards. If you wish to view older applications you can make a request to retrieve the files. The details we will need will be as follows: -
- planning application number
- what documents you require
If your enquiry relates to a breach of planning control, further information can be by visiting unauthorised development or land use.
Alternatively please contact our Enforcement Team by emailing [email protected] or by calling 01423 500600 and ask to be put forward to an Enforcement Officer.
Are you getting the service you deserve?
At Harrogate Borough Council we pride ourselves on providing you with great service and want to ensure our services offer good value for money. Please take a couple of minutes to complete our survey and let us know what you think.