Gypsies and travellers

There are two official Gypsy and traveller sites in the Harrogate district, at Bickerton and Thistle Hill, both owned and managed by North Yorkshire County Council.

Outside of these sites, if Gypsies and travellers set up a camp on council-owned land, and if they're causing problems, they'll be moved on as soon as is possible and reasonable. We consider each case on its merits.

If they're on private land, it's usually the landowner's responsibility.

If the Gypsies and travellers occupy land without the landowner's permission, the owner can talk to them to try to agree a leaving date, use 'reasonable force' to evict them if they don't leave when asked, or take county court action.

Landowners who decide to let the Gypsies and travellers stay temporarily need to check if they're complying with planning and licensing laws.

We have no authority to move travellers from highway embankments. North Yorkshire County Council takes care of these areas.

For any queries on Gypsy and traveller issues, please contact us for advice on 01423 500600 or