Nuisance and threatening behaviour

As a social housing landlord, we're committed to taking action to prevent and deal with incidents involving our tenants, either as victims or alleged perpetrators of nuisance and anti-social behaviour.  

Noise and nuisance 

This might include barking dogs, persistently playing loud music, repeated night disturbances or children causing problems in communal areas.

What you should do:

  • try talking to the person causing the nuisance - they might not be aware they're causing a problem
  • if this doesn't work, contact your housing office
  • give clear details of the complaint with names and addresses of the people causing the problem
  • keep a written record of the nuisance and what effect it's having on you.

What we'll do:

  • we'll write to the tenant causing the problem
  • if the problems continue, we'll issue a diary for incidents to be recorded
  • after receiving the completed diary, a council officer will visit the tenant causing the problem and/or you, depending on the evidence supplied
  • if the nuisance continues and enough evidence is available, we'll decide on a course of action
  • in some cases we may involve other agencies, such as social services. In extreme cases we'll take legal action
  • if there's no tenancy breach, and we can't resolve the problem, we'll give advice on other courses of action you can take.


Harassment is a criminal offence. It can be defined as persistent annoyance, violence, intimidation, or aggression inflicted on another person or group because of their race, gender, sexual orientation or disability. 

You should contact the police and get a crime log number and call us, giving full details of the harassment.

We'll complete a confidential report and provide you with a diary. We'll visit the tenant and, if the problem continues, and there's enough evidence, we'll take action over a breach of tenancy and possibly further action under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Anti-social behaviour

We define behaviour as anti-social behaviour when it involves criminal behaviour, drug dealing, and unprovoked assault.

What you should do:

  • contact us giving details of the events, adopt the council's see it report it approach 
  • contact the police immediately if you've been physically assaulted or your property's been damaged
  • make a note of the log number as this may be needed to provide evidence if the police have been involved
  • keep an accurate written record of events
  • you may have to attend court and give evidence.

What we'll do:

  • write to the tenant causing the problem without revealing your identity
  • liaise with the police if appropriate
  • issue a diary and monitor the situation
  • in extreme cases of intimidation we may employ professional witnesses
  • if there's enough evidence we'll take action using the legal remedies available.

More details can be found in our anti-social behaviour policy and procedure document.