Street trading consent

Due to ongoing policy amendments, no further street trading permits will be authorised in Harrogate town centre.

Street trading is defined as selling any article in the street, including food. Food traders must also get a food business registration from their local environmental health office.

You're not allowed to carry out street trading in some streets, so you should check with us.

You don't need a street trading consent if you are:

  • trading as a pedlar under a licence issued by a police authority
  • a market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • a news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • if you're trading on private land you may not need consent, so contact us to check. The landowner may need planning permission; you are advised to contact the local planning office


Guidance and application forms are available in the street trading pack.

Fees are

Daily fee - application fee £76.00 / ongoing administration and enforcement £26.00
Weekly fee - application fee £103.00 / ongoing administration and enforcement £34.00
Monthly fee cancelled*
3 monthly fee cancelled*
6 monthly fee cancelled*
Annual fee cancelled*

* Policy no longer permits

For more information, please contact us.

Online enquiries form

Visits to the licensing service are by appointment only. Please call us on 01423 500600 or email us at