Temporary event notice guidance

Do I need a licence for my event?

If your event involves activities that require a licence, and your premises (a premises is defined as any place) are not already licensed, a temporary event notice (TEN) may be required.

Licensable activities include:

  • the provision of regulated entertainment - plays, films, live music, recorded music, dancing
  • the provision of late night refreshment (the sale of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am)
  • the sale/supply of alcohol

Certain regulated entertainments are not licensable depending on the time of day and audience size. Please check with our licensing team at licensing@harrogate.gov.uk or on 01423 500600 x56843.

Which events require a TEN?

Events that will require a TEN include:

  • extending the drinking hours at an existing licensed premises
  • selling alcohol at a premises that is not licensed, have a bar at a village fete or BBQ
  • having a live band and DJ at a premises that is not licensed

My premises are already licensed, can I extend what I am already licensed for?

Yes but a TEN may be required if you wish to extend your hours, add licensing activities or extend your licensed area.

What are the limitations of a TEN?

TENs have a number of limitations. These include:

  • no more than 499 people on the premises at any one time for each event
  • events can last up to 168 hours (7 days)
  • the number of times a temporary event notice may be given in respect of any particular premises (15 times or, for event periods occurring wholly or partly in 2022 or 2023, 20 times a calendar year)
  • the maximum aggregate duration of the periods covered by temporary event notices at any individual premises (21 days or, for event periods (or any part of those periods) occurring in 2022 or 2023, 26 days per calendar year)
  • there must be a minimum of 24 hours between each event notified by the same event organiser at any premises.

May I submit more than one TEN application?

Yes multiple TEN applications can be submitted at the same time but each event is a separate TEN with a separate fee payable. The limits set out above cannot be exceeded.

Anyone over the age of 18 can submit a maximum of five TENs per year and Personal Licence Holders can submit a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

How do I apply for a temporary event notice?

Applications must be submitted to us, giving at least ten working days' notice of the event or for a late TEN at least five working days' notice. There are further limitations for a late TEN.

If your event does not fit into the limitations of a TEN a premises licence may be required. Applications for a licence should be submitted to the council at least two months before your event.

Temporary event notice application form