Introductory council tenancies

Most of our new tenants are given what's called an introductory tenancy.

This is a probationary tenancy for 12 months, but it can be extended to 18 months.

During this time, you'll have fewer rights than a secure tenant and if you break the terms of your tenancy it'll be easier for the council to evict you.

After the probationary period, your tenancy will automatically become secure unless we've taken action to end it.

Secure tenant

As a Harrogate Borough Council tenant, you're a "secure" tenant. This means that you have the legal right to stay in your home as long as you keep to the obligations, or responsibilities, set out in your tenancy agreement.

Joint tenancies

When two adults have made a joint housing application, we usually give them a joint tenancy when they're housed. We also usually grant joint tenancies during the tenancy when people marry or when it's clear that adults intend to live together for a long time.

Adults usually have to live together, if they're not married, for 12 months before a joint tenancy is considered. This is to protect the interests of the existing tenant.

The council may also consider granting joint tenancies to adults who live with a person to care for them.

Being a joint tenant means that you're both equally responsible for paying the rent and keeping to all of the tenancy the conditions.