District elections

Notice of vacancy - Harrogate Harlow

Becoming a councillor is a great way to represent and make positive changes to your local community.

You can either stand as an independent or as a representative of a political party. If you want to represent a party, you will first need to join one and ask them to select you as their candidate for your area. In order to stand as a candidate at district level you must meet certain qualifications.

The qualifications for standing as a candidate in local government elections are as follows:

  • a person must not be disqualified from holding office
  • must be a British or Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or of the European Union
  • be 18 years of age

They must also meet one of the following criteria:

  • be a local government elector for the area
  • occupied land or property in the area for the last 12 months
  • worked in the area for the last year
  • resided in the area for the whole of the last 12 months

For guidance regarding standing as a candidate please visit the electoral commission website and GOV.UK.

In order to stand a candidate must submit to the returning officer a nomination paper signed by 10 local government electors for the area by a statutory deadline.

Electoral enquiries