To claim universal credit you must set up a universal credit account to complete the application, you will also manage your ongoing claim online through this account. You will therefore need regular online access to keep your circumstances up to date and ensure you are paid correctly.
Universal credit accounts are designed to work equally on desktop pc's, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
To set-up and maintain your account you will need the following;
- an email account which you use and access regularly
- to complete an online form entering a range of personal data
- the ability to create and upload documents such as your cv
- to scan or take images of evidence and upload these to your account
There is a range of free internet access in various locations across the district including sites where you will be able to receive additional support to help you get online;
- Job Centre Plus - 35 Victoria Avenue, Harrogate HG1 5PZ
- Harrogate Borough Council Customer Access Centres
- Main Council Offices, Civic Centre, St Lukes Avenue, Harrogate HG1 2AE
- Community House, Allhallowgate, Ripon
- Local libraries; see www.northyorks.gov.uk/libraries-0 for details of your nearest library
If you need additional help with online access and support to make your claim for universal credit please contact the benefit services team on 01423 500600. Alternatively you could access online tutorials to help you; the website www.learnmyway.com is a good source of information.
For further information and to apply for universal credit please see www.gov.uk/universal-credit.