Managing your money

Personal budgeting and support

We want to advise and support you if you are having financial problems which may be making it difficult for you to pay your rent as well as your other essential bills. Our free and confidential budgeting service can help with this.

We can:

  • check that you are claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to
  • help you claim housing benefit or a council tax reduction
  • draw up a formal financial statement by looking at your income and expenditure
  • help with a household budget and ensure that you know which bills are priorities
  • assist with a plan to manage your debts better
  • advise you on Court procedures and help you to reply to Court documents
  • assist you with bailiffs
  • introduce you to other agencies that may be able to help you further, such as the Citizens Advice Bureau and Step Change

The key thing is to try to deal with the problem quickly so please ask our staff for help as soon as you can. Our telephone number is 01423 500600.

Are you paying too much for your heating bills?

See if you can get a better deal on your energy bills.

Water meters

Details and requests to switch can be made to Yorkshire Water. You can also use the water calculator to assess the potential benefits of a switch.

Water calculator
Yorkshire Water

If you are a housing tenant and wish to have a water meter fitted, please ensure you get written permission from your housing officer first. Yorkshire water will only fit a water meter if they have written confirmation from the landlord of your property.

Smart meters

Smart meters can give you better control of your energy use and may help you save money on your energy bills.

A guide to smart meters.

Low cost household white goods

Visit Smarter Buys website to see how much you could save on brand new household white goods.